Site of the First Town House

The first Town House (before the 1858 Town Hall) was located at the northeast corner of present day Washington and Union Streets. It was constructed in 1929. The Town House served as a town meeting place so that town business could be conducted. Prior to the construction of the Town House, Town meetings were often held at Revered R. S Storrs Meeting House. The formation of a new Town House indicates the separation of town and church.

Site of the First Town House

Location

The location for the Town House was chosen for its close proximity to Asa French’s home, as his house served as the Town’s post office for some time. Asa French also served as the Town Clerk and Treasurer. The First Town House no longer stands at its original location, as it was relocated to present day Taylor St. It is currently used as private residences.