Are you a developer starting a construction project and don't know what permits you may need? See the flow chart below to find out if you need a MAJOR or a MINOR Stormwater permit. If you have any additional questions, please see the information below the graphic or call our office at 781-794-8945. As a reminder, all applications need to be filled out and submitted online. For more information, click on "Stormwater Permitting" on the left hand side.

Stormwater Information for Developers

Allowing stormwater with sediment or pollutants to leave your construction site and enter into a storm drain or waterway is against federal, state, and some local laws.

  • You are subject to coverage under the EPA NPDES Construction General Permit (CGP) if greater than 1 acre of disturbance is proposed and stormwater may leave your construction site. This permit requires a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) before ANY work begins.
  • To learn more about whether or not you need an NPDES permit for your construction project, view this EPA flow chart.
  • You can apply for an NPDES permit by following this link to MassDEP’s website.

Developers may find the following guides useful for NPDES compliance:

Excavator at construction site